Friday, March 20, 2015

Buggy First Birthday

For Penny's first birthday, I decided to do a Bug theme. I didnt want it to be too cutsie, but I also didnt want it to be too realistic or yucky looking.

I made low sugar banana bread frosted with mashed banana and PB2 to hold kiwi slices on to make a green caterpillar with blueberry legs.


For cupcakes I went with super simple dirt cups (cake, pudding, gummy worms, chocolate rocks and green coconut grass)

One activity was building bugs out of craft supplies. 
At this table we also had some headbands and fuzzy sticks to make antennas. 

We also had Digging for Bugs

And bug jar decorating

this little fella felt right at home


For food I made a variety of buggy foods:

 
the ladybug bowls were leftover from the Ladybug Birthday
 
I was disappointed that this package of butterfly pretzles were nearly all broken :(
I love that I got another opportunity to use my Ant dip bowl! (normally it is only used on Aunts Day)

 
some of them are on bendy straws to be safer for kiddos, 
the rest are on skewers because they were much faster. 
 
A great tip if you cannot find or don't want to spend money on special themed cups, stick a themed sticker to the cups! I had bunches of these stickers super cheap leftover from party favors. 

To drink your beetle juice, you need:
(which is the curly sucking tongue on some bugs)


 
These were Twinkies with white yogurt pretzels as wings. The antenna and eyes were in a kit meant for bumble bee cupcakes I had picked up on clearance. 
These were nestled in some BitOHoney candies
The chocolate bees were just yellow candy melts striped onto pre-made chocolate pretzels. 

To avoid too much sweet, half had cream cheese and diced ham

I used a random collection of buggy stuff for decorations and supplies:



On the tables I laid out astroturf and plastic bugs and flowers. 
(we reuse this astroturf for Superbowl parties, which justified the cost)

I didn't get a picture of the favors but I had bug themed rattles and bee bibs for each of the babies. The bigger kids got a bag of random buggy stuff from Oriental trading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment